Monday, June 4, 2007

Catastrophic Failure

This morning I got up a bit late for work, but still managed to get out the door at a reasonable hour. I got in my car, started it, and pulled out of my driveway. Pulled a U-Turn, and headed down the block...

Stopping at the sign on the end of my street, I noticed that my steering felt really heavy. And then by the time I was on the main road, I noticed that my power steering was completely gone. No power assist, in a 3540lb (1606Kgs) car...

So on the drive to the dealership I got the greatest forearm workout of my life. I have never felt the burn quite that well from just one exercise, but I would have paid to have the thing towed to the dealership given the chance to do it all again. (The dealership also offered to come pick the thing up from my house for free, and bring me a rental, but I was determined to prove that I didn't need them to and already a bit behind without that wait.)

So I dropped the thing off, they gave me my rental (a white 2007 C350, the baby version of my car), and I was on my way.

Hours later, I got a phone call. They drained the power steering fluid and found it to be full of small metal bits. This is not good. They declared it to be a catastrophic failure of the power steering pump. Apparently a small gear inside decided to commit Seppuku inside of the housing. As it came apart, it lodged itself into the entire pump, further destroying the rest of the pieces inside. Basically the entire thing is shot, and the entire front steering assembly being replaced under warranty to be safe.


So I've spent the day happy about my warranty, and missing my car.

3 comments:

Me Myself and I said...

yay for warranties!

christa said...

bad day for your car....

Trundling Grunt said...

Oh feck. At least it's a warranty job. Mine was a shot belt and I was exhausted heaving the damn thing round.