Monday, February 25, 2008

Roll It Out

So at the end of this week my company rolls out an entirely new software and hardware system for everyone.

I'm not in our IT department, I'm in our beer shenanigans department.

But, I am the youngest guy in my position by 5 years... Well closer to eight years... I'm the guy with a blog. The one who always fixes people's mistakes so that they don't have to wait for IT to come do it. As one guy put it, "You remind me of my kid, he's a genius at this 'computer stuff.'" Of course I do, his kid is four years younger than I am...

So...

I was selected by my boss' boss to be our departments liaison to IT for this whole "new system" fiasco. This means that I get to do my job, the parts of my boss' job that I already do, and now that job on top of it. But the fun doesn't end there. IT likes me because they don't have to dumb anything down for me, so they have asked me to be one of the few "Super Users" (yeah, the computer geeks at my company are just like the geeks at every company). This means I get an Administrator account on the new system and will be somewhat responsible for my guys systems. When the shit hit's then fan, they'll call me instead of bugging IT immediately. Of course I said yes. I think that I have "a snowflakes chance in hell" when it comes to mastering the new system in ONE WEEK, but I know that I have a better chance of getting it right than anyone else that they could task for the job in this short a period of time.

So as I prepare for what will no doubt be one of the busiest weeks of work in recent memory, I figure that I might as well throw my schedule up here for all to see.

Mon - Work and then dinner with brewmaster of one of our brands.
Tues - The Island, and then a stupid appointment about my stupid knee.
Wed - Work, and then a division meeting after work about March.
Thurs - Work (Thank God, one day of just work)
Fri - All day with the IT guys working on the new system.
Sat - Friday part two. It will be a long day.

4 comments:

christa said...

good luck....

and i hope i never have to say "thank god, one day of JUST work"

The Charming Hedonist said...

Busy busy Beer Man! Good luck dealing with all of the non-techie people. Why is it that computers can make a reasonably intelligent person an incompetent moron?

The Stormin Mormon said...

Christa - Climb the corporate ladder...

TCH - I have no clue. I have a blog, and that somehow puts me into the top ten percent of employees at my company.

The Charming Hedonist said...

Come on now, Stormin, I'm sure it's more that that!