Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Greatest

So last night I had the greatest Italian food that I have ever had in my entire life.

I know that people in New York and Chicago read this and scoff, and you can go ahead. In those cities finding good Italian food is probably easier than finding good Italian food in Italy. Out here it is a bit more of a challenge. We do have Festa Italiana in September, but for most of the year anyone capable of making decent food keeps it to themselves and their immediate family.

And I crave Italian food.

All the time, I want good Italian. So for me the only resource is to learn and make it at home. So after years of practice I can make Fettuccine Al Burro E Panna (Alfredo) that tastes like the real thing (as in, in Italy). My Piccata is perfect. My Marsala quite magnificent. My Risotto's really ridiculous. And it goes on...

But recently I have had no desire to cook, and so I have been going out to dinner a ton. Usually with a young lady or a friend in tow. The plan of a dinner out on the town really sells people on the idea quite fast. And up until last night, Italian wasn't an option. Since the close of the greatest Italian restaurant ever (Sportivo) a few years ago, nothing Italian has been an option. The only food resembling Italian nearby has been The Olive Garden (which is about as Italian as fucking Denny's). So no delicious food for me...

Then last night my good friend Yenny calls me up and asks if I wanted to go get Italian food at Verrazanos. This is supposedly delicious Italian at it's finest, at prices that are reasonable and close to home too (literally a 5 minute drive if I hit every red light). Plus it happens to be the place the her fiance (the infamous TimmyTim) proposed to her. And she used to work with the bar tender there. And we go out Karaokeing with him and one of the mangers. So I figured that I should give it a try.

Best Food Ever.

Wednesday night happens to be Jazz night, so we had good live music going on, and some phenomenal food. I had the chef's daily special, which happened to be a gorgonzola, mushroom, and spinach stuffed chicken breast, with pasta and fresh zucchini. I can't even remember the name of it, but it was amazing. Even now, remembering it makes me somehow feel better about the state of Seattle cuisine.

8 comments:

Trundling Grunt said...

Bloody hell - sounds brilliant.

Now how can I wangle a trip to Seattle????

Keshi said...

I love Italiano :)

Keshi.

Peter said...

And now I'M going to crave Italian food all day.

I am so easily led.

cadiz12 said...

yum! oh, sorry. I'm from Chicago, so i scoff.

Cazzie!!! said...

Mmmm, I love anti pasto and I love bruschetta myself :)

Princess Banter said...

Aaaah yes, good food is so totally underrated nowadays -- with the nascent of *ugh* fast food and other mediocre stuff. I'm glad you've found a good Italian place to turn to in times of cravings. I have trouble satisfying my cravings to utmost satisfaction... and it makes me even more irritable haha! I will probably have Italian for lunch -- look what you did!!! :P

Steph said...

Best Italian food EVER? That's a big call Mr Stormin. Lucky you.

little things said...

oh my, I am so hungry all of a sudden!