Sunday, December 30, 2007

Sunday Night Football

So the game tonight matters a ton to the Titans, and not in any way to the Colts. I hope we kick the shit out of them.

Either way, one thing remains constant. We play in the toughest division in the league.

(Assuming a Colts win, either way the division numbers do not change.)

Indy - 14 and 2
Jags - 11 and 5
Titans - 9 and 7
Texans - 8 and 8

Which gives our division a 65.625% win to loss ratio with EVERY TEAM at least playing at five hundred. Comparing this to other divisions:

NFC East - 62.5% - With two tough teams in the Cowboys and Giants, 13-3 and 10-6 are two respectable records. And I have no love for the Cowboys or Giants (I don't care if he is a Manning), so the respect is earned. The Redskins made the playoffs, which didn't impress me simply because Dallas had nothing to lose today, but that made them a 3 playoff team division.

NFC North - 54.688% - Home of the Packers at 13-3, where you just can't hate Brett Favre. The guy is like that friendly uncle. You know the one. The guy that sends you a $15 Target gift card on your birthday, and it's cool because none of your other uncles and aunts sends you anything. No? Just me? Well I like the guy.

AFC North - 50.00% - This COULD HAVE BEEN the toughest division in the league. But things in Cincinnati and Baltimore have fallen apart and put them right at the half. Don't let that number fool you. Every team in this division can beat anyone else in the league...

AFC East - 43.75% - This division is home to the league's best and worst record. The obligatory "Fuck The Patriots" comment must follow. When you get to play six games against teams that could only put together a playoff season IF YOU COMBINED ALL OF THEIR WINS... No wonder they got 16 wins. The regular season is over, so it means nothing.

NFC South - 42.188% - It's one of the worst division records in the league, but...

AFC West - 40.625% - Nobody can ever forget that John Elway is retired and now the Broncos suck so the Chargers head up the best of the worst. That and the subtle fact that...

NFC West - 40.625% - The NFC West remains tied as the current basement of the league. As much as everyone here expects me to adopt the Seahawks, I'm just not a sell out. And if I was a sell out, I still couldn't do it. The Hawks squeak into the playoffs every year and ever since that Superbowl theft loss to the Steelers, the city has had this "it's owed to us" attitude... Fuck that, they should have beat the Bears last year, and then lost to the Colts in XLI. One losing season and this city would sell them out so fast... Just look at the Sonics and Mariners.
As for the division. Hey, maybe Leinart one day will lead the Cardinals to the division lead. I just don't see it happening anytime soon.


What does all of this mean? Nothing, it's just a fun exercise in numbers that justify a 14-2 record (or maybe 13-3). We're still the reigning champs...

The playoffs start next week, and that means that I need to hope that the Seahawks win a few more games just to keep the beer flowing liberally locally... As for the rest of the games, sorry GGW, we're going back to the dance! GO COLTS!!!!

10 comments:

Girl in a Guy's World said...

After the weekend I've had, I don't even want to THINK about football. More on this later, I'm sure.

Jaime said...

What about the Bears?

TSTuesday said...

Damn the Colts for losing! I had Dallas Clark and Reggie Wayne on my fantasy team and because of them I lost the championship game!

Good luck in the playoffs...

The Stormin Mormon said...

GGW: Yeah. I think that your game (like mine) didn't matter at all and still had to suck to watch. Your other issues had to be much more difficult. All my best to Buckley.

Jaime: What about the Bears indeed... The took that loss to my Colts so hard they came back the next season and finished in DEAD LAST in their Division. ;-)

LtmC: I could have told you that was a bad plan. On your Fantasy team you only start players who's games mean something, because you can be sure they will start and play the whole game.

The Clumsy Chatterbox said...

I am glad you like Brett Favre.

It's like watching an old man save the world. You just gotta cheer for him. Love the Target comment.

But I'll let you like the Colts too.

Keshi said...

GO COLTS then! ;-)

Happy New Year mate!

Keshi.

Cazzie!!! said...

Woo hoo, come on the colts!!!

TSTuesday said...

I knwo I shouldn't have started them but they were my only hopes! Everyone else is on IR! I got second place...I'm going to a dark place to cry now.

The Ex said...

Blah blah blah. I hate football.

The Charming Hedonist said...

You live a life of beer and football. Stormin Mormon, I think I love you.