Sunday, March 25, 2007

If Only

If only I could convince myself that sleep would be a good thing right now...

I have no idea why, but I can't sleep right now. I am not tired, I am not "drowsy," and I know that I am going to pay for this one tomorrow when I need to be thinking about Monday and getting back to work. Especially because on Monday I need to be in early. There's a reason for that, and I guess as I am not going anywhere, I might as well post the story.

So on Wednesday I sent my boss' boss an Email after I got some bad news from my boss. The news isn't really that bad, in fact it just has to do with my vacation changing, but I was pissed, and so the email went something like this:

I need meet with you ASAP.

In fact, that is the entire Email. The whole thing. No salutation, no closing, no signature, just that. And I am a person that writes really long emails about the simplest of things, so this probably came across as quite a shock, and might have given him cause for concern.

So he finally got back to me on Friday, and asked if I needed to come in and see him. Now, I know that my boss has already talked to him about why I was mad. I know that there is absolutely nothing that he can do to change the end result. My vacation is changing, because while seniority does not mean shit for promotions and pay raises at my job, it does have it's benefits in choosing your vacation. And I am the youngest and newest guy in my job... I'm fucked. So of course I tell him that it's not a big deal, and that I may have overreacted in the first place.

But for some reason he insisted on meeting with me. First thing Monday morning, he wants me to come in and see him. Then he changes his mind and it becomes; first thing Monday morning, he'll come to see me, and we're going to breakfast. So now the simple and unchangeable statement that my vacation IS changing is going to be hashed out over a breakfast that will probably cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $100.00, and I am going to have to give up a morning. If I had a lot of free time on Monday this wouldn't bother me. Unfortunately, Monday is one of the busiest days of the week for me, and I don't really have the time to spare. At the same time, it's not as if he has a lot of free time in all of the work that he has to do either. So now we will both be in early, or be staying late, to go to breakfast Monday where we will talk about something that I have come to terms with, and neither of us could change if we wanted to anyways.

That said, knowing where we are probably going for breakfast, I am going to have a tall glass of Blood Orange Juice (looks so cool), a Pecan Caramel Machiatto, and a Seafood Omelette. The omelette is one of the greatest creations known to man. Shrimp, Dungeness Crab, Tomato, Cheese, and small bits of Bacon inside. Then topped with incredibly thin slices of Avocado... It's heaven for breakfast.

And how does this all tie in to the fact that I can't sleep?

Because if I'm up late tonight, I will sleep late tomorrow. If I sleep late tomorrow, I will have a hard time going to bed at a normal hour Sunday night. And if I don't get some sleep Sunday night I won't be capable of waking up on time Monday morning to enjoy my breakfast.

3 comments:

Doll Face said...

A vicious circle of sleep... A breakfast with your boss' boss, make it known to boos that you're not stepping on toes. Been there, done that, it was uncomfortable for a while...

Eat and enjoy your brekkie, menu options sound awesome and make sure he pays :-) Work should be balanced with breakfast meetings, boozy lunches and the occasional afternoon drink. Hey, this is coming from a girl who had her last job interview at a pub and drank a bit too much :-P

cadiz12 said...

i have been suffering from the "lowest person on the totem pole"-vacation screw for my entire career. it SUCKS. and the worst part is that they're so indoctrinated in these stupid policies because they went through it, why shouldn't you?

good luck tomorrow. hope you can schmooze your way into a better deal.

curmudgeon said...

Good gawd. You're like an old woman thinking so much.

I mean that in the nicest way of course...