Friday, March 23, 2007

Unmotivated

"Once for an entire year I thought I had mono... Turns out I was just bored."


So it's not as if I don't have things to do today, I just for some reason or another, lack anything resembling motivation to do them.

Maybe it's the fact that it's Friday.

Friday is usually so busy, and the entire day is spent trying to finish stuff as fast as possible just to go home at a reasonable hour. Today is an odd day in that I have about four hours of real work to do. If I were to start on that work right now, I would be done and on my way home at 1PM. But I don't really want to be leaving work just as people are coming back from lunch. To me that just seems kinda mean. As they are trudging back into the office to put in another four hours of work, I'm sprinting out the door, removing my necktie, and laughing maniacally...

So instead, here I am on my blog typing away about nothing. I have the TV on, but I'm not really watching it, just have it making noise as a general distraction. I did see the video of that baby polar bear in the Berlin zoo. That damn thing is so cute that I am now determined to go to Germany and kidnap it.

My keyboard actually drowns out most of the sound from the TV. In fact, the sound of the keys just clicking away probably makes it sound like I am working so much that everyone else is a slacker by any comparison.

I can see a couple of the bosses now, out of the corner of my eye. They're probably 15 feet from the door to my office just chatting away. I'm sure that they have nothing to do either. Nobody has anything to do today. I bet we're all just slacking as much as possible. I can almost make out their conversation....

"Listen to Stormin over there..."

"Yeah, I know, he was in the office at six, and has been just on the computer ever since."

"Man that guy's a workaholic... Wasn't he out at those meetings with the beer guys almost every night this week?"

"Yeah, but I guess he's young, he can take it."

"See, and I was going to give him some stuff to do today, but he just sounds so busy over there, and it is Friday, I don't want him being at work all night on a Friday."

"Crazy son of a bitch would do it too."

(While that is all made up, I am now certain that they have used the phrase "Crazy Son Of A Bitch," when referring to me...)

I have no clue as to what they actually think I am doing, but I know that our work computers have filters and such beyond belief. So while my work computer sits idle, my laptop has a wireless broadband card, and I have a DVI cable for the monitor. So as it appears to the outside observer, I am typing away at my desktop machine, maybe writing an important Email to someone, or perhaps finishing up their performance evaluations for Human Resources. I am in fact just screwing around...

Ah the joys of work.

So what do I have to do today? Well here are some of the highlights...

-Stop by and see one of the district managers and pick up some lift tickets from him for a concert/boarding at Snoqualmie Pass this weekend. I'm not going to the concert, and I could go, but I think that the weather is just going to be shitty this weekend. So I'm going to give the tickets away to a friend, and I think he is totally amped. Time to complete: 20 Minutes

-Grab a keg and drop it off at a friends house. He's got some party going on this weekend that I've already said that I can't attend (I was going to go up to that concert, before the weather got bad), but i am going to hook him up with some beer. Time to complete: 1 Hour

-Dropping the tickets off at my friends work. This isn't really "work" but at the same time, he works for a company that we deal with on a regular basis, and as such it's sorta like work. I think that them seeing me there is going to be one of those times when it looks like management from a company you worked with has stopped by to see you. In fact we're just going to be joking around and drinking Caramel Macchiatos. Time to complete: 1 Hour

The rest of it is just the collection of general things that need to be done every day and don't even warrant mentioning.

So now I'm going to go grab some Thai leftovers that I have in the breakroom fridge, maybe watch an hour of news, and come up with a plan to steal that baby polar bear...

Thomas Doerflein can kiss my ass.

4 comments:

cadiz12 said...

man, i was confused when i clicked on your link to find some weird ad pages. those people don't waste any time.

you talk about grabbing a keg as though it were a cd or something you just slip into your pocket.

Eve said...

Wow, a keg for your friend's party. My roommates went to pick up a keg for a party we're having this weekend.

And those photos were SO freaking cute.

The Stormin Mormon said...

They don't fit in my pocket, but I can get a keg of anything with 4 hours notice...

This doesn't mean that I appreciate that kind of notice (my friends are all on 24 hour probations right now), but it's doable...

MadameBoffin said...

...and you get paid for this...

:D