Thursday, May 24, 2007

My Sunday, preceeding My Thursday...

So I guess that the Karaoke night was a big hit, because we're going out on Sunday night and doing it again...

Timmy and Yenny have some friends who are practically family coming into town for the weekend, staying at their place and such, and so we are determined to go out and show them a good time. I think that it's going to be a BLAST. First off their is that whole, "hanging out with the Yenny and Timmy," which is a guaranteed good time. Then the fact that I had so much fun last time at the Karaoke and so I think that it's only going to be more and more fun. And then last but not least, new people, which I always have fun around.

So now that I am looking forward to the 3 day weekend, I get to tell you all a little story about the day I had today.


I was at work from 6AM until 10PM... But the last 4 hours of my day were spent on The Island. We (yeah there's a "we" there, I make people work long hours with me...) were at one of my accounts, where they needed a lot of beer for a charity event that they are doing Friday. It could have waited until tomorrow morning (well, it's is Friday already, so TODAY) but in my business sometimes going the extra mile for an account is the way of the world.

The WE? Well that would be Timmy and I.

He was done early, so he came up to help me out, and then we were off to the boat for The Island. Six Kegs and seven cases of beer cinched down in the back of this beast of an off-road truck that he drives (I'll post a pic sometime, I swear his front bumper is even with the top of my hood), and away we go. We were there by 6PM, and could have just dropped the beer and left, but a question was asked by the owner: "So do you guys like steaks and beer?"

What kinda question is that? "Do you like steaks and beer?" Of course we like steaks, what red blooded human being that doesn't have some silly idea about "cruelty to animals" doesn't enjoy a delicious hunk of beef? (Rhetorical question, I'm sure someone could debate with me about the error in my animal devouring ways, but as one person dining there with us put it: "Great, more steaks for me...") And then beer? I live on beer. Beer is what keeps the lights on at my place...

I'm reminded of Denzel in that movie Training Day: "A good narcotics officer knows and loves narcotics. A good narcotics officer always has some narcotics in his blood..." I'm a beer rep fer cryin' out loud.

So he sits us down, initially inside, and this is a white tablecloth place. Fancy with a capital F-A-N-C-Y, and they have casual patio seating outside. It was sunny all day, in the 70's, with a gentle breeze. We immediately asked to move out to the patio. Good call in '07...

So the menus were unnecessary, but there was a choice of soup or salad. I had the clam chowder, and T had the caesar. Seattle being a city that is internationally know for chowder, the chowder market here is FIERCE. People will fight tooth and nail over who has the best, and I have to say that I have a definitive answer. Their's is in fact the best. But then the rest of the meal showed up. The steaks and potatoes were brought out (medium rare, or as I stole from a friend: "on the medium side of 'Moooo'."), and the presentation was perfect. Baby asparagus on the side (lightly steamed), potatoes with a sprig of rosemary and some fresh shredded parm reggiano, and a big steak. All of this on plates way fancier than I'll ever own, but hey I've been to nice places before. Now this meal proceeds...

THIS STEAK WAS THE BEST I'VE EVER HAD.

There is no contest, there is no debate, this Ribeye was somehow; the world being perfect, all at once, on my plate. I took probably an hour eating it. Just savoring every bite. And don't get me started on the Demiglasse on the side. It wasn't overly flavored, just a liquid version of the steak, in a tiny ramekin for dipping. I think that between this steak, the perfect potatoes, and the asparagus, I have never had a more enjoyable meal in my life. Then there was the fact that the owner Stormy just kept refilling our beers. We'd drink them down, and more keeps coming. And hey, I don't have a problem with that.

When we are almost through the steaks (and a good bit of conversation too), Stormy comes over and tells us to save room for desert... NO PROBLEM.

So after the steaks are done, the desert arrives, and it's bread pudding. Homemade, still warm, bread pudding. And it was amazing. I have never had such delicious bread pudding in my entire life. 23 years of not knowing just how good desert could truly be. This stuff set the bar. Creme Brulee (Blogger won't play fair and let me type with accents) has been dethroned as the king of deserts in my world. The Louisiana Bread Pudding there is the new champion.

All of this; steaks, beers, chowder (and caesar), and desert, for two... Zero dollars. Stormy said that this one was on him, but be sure to take care of our waitress (delightful young lady named Sara, with a saunter instead of a walk). And that we did.

So I thanked Stormy, twice. Thanked his wife. And then told him to thank Sara for us... As we were walking out to the car, Sara came out of the restaurant, gave us each a hug, and thanked us for coming out. This restaurant is the coolest around...

So, T and I made the 10PM ferry back to Seattle, and he has to be up at 3AM for work. The guy is my personal hero in his willingness to help a friend. His generosity makes Ned Flanders look like an asshole.


So if you're ever on The Island, be sure to stop by The Back Bay Inn.

Say Hi to Stormy if you've got a second, have a cold beer if you've got a minute, and have the Ribeye if you're ready for it... You'll want to free up some time for that last one.

1 comment:

Steph said...

I'm sitting here drooling now!!!