Friday, April 20, 2007

Just Plain Busy

Holy Shit, I haven't written anything since Tuesday, and even that wasn't really a post of substance.

So I haven't been watching 24 for the entire time (though I am now in the third season, this shit is seriously good), but I have been working my MFing ass off trying to get everything done at work, because as of Monday it doesn't matter...


No, I didn't manage to get my ass fired, and the company isn't going anywhere, but we are doing a bit of a "restructuring." Normally this is a bad thing, and I'm not saying that this one is that fucking great. Some moron in upper management, who would be better off as an organ donor than as a human being, decided to have the "sales side" of the business restructured "to take advantage of changes in the market and our products." What this line of bullshit translates to is; "Hey, we have new people, and new shit, and I think it would be a good idea with these new people and new shit, to give everyone new jobs in order to just have everything new, because in this business, change is good."

What this fucktard does not realize is that in this business change is not good. New products are good. New people are sometimes necessary. But the people you already have, and the accounts that they manage, have relationships that make the business more efficient. These relationships are the reason that we are growing at 15% annually (the division I manage is at 25%, thank you very much). And it's not like I mean a workplace relationship...

Examples abound. One of the chains I work with has a guy that is on the same shooting team as I. Another has a buyer that goes out for Chinese for breakfast with me at least twice a month (and she buys, so it's not like she's going with for the fact that I can pay and write it off, we just share an enjoyment of Chinese food). Then there is the another that I snowboard with. One that I've known for YEARS, as I went to high school with her daughter. The list goes on and on. And the results of this are a business relationship that manages to work so smoothly that it amazes me. Sure there are policies and procedures that the companies have to follow, but for the most part when I want something done, it gets done... One question is asked; "Stormin, what have we got set up for this month?" And whatever I say we should do with the beer, we do, because I'm not going to suggest something stupid to my friends.

Fortunately this system is only slightly new... I still work with the same brands, just in new places and with new people. I had the good fortune of being able to keep some of the people that I already have worked with, and I know that they will bust their asses to make this new situation successful.


Aside from my whining, Dallas managed to pull off an overtime victory against Vancouver, and stay alive in the playoffs... Thank God.

6 comments:

Malnurtured Snay said...

Is "24" the TV show where the main character goes an entire day without going to the bathroom?

Steph said...

Restructuring is always a scary thing. Glad to see it hasn't affected you though.

Cazzie!!! said...

Fixing what ain't broke hey, dumb move by the oxygen thef indeed.

Doll Face said...

I only watched the first season of 24 then lost interest. I've been super busy too. Don't like it. only watched one episode of Angel , I'm up to season 2!

Chinese food for breakfast???

little things said...

well i was wondering how to get back. i clicked on your blog and saw that it was for invited people only. ;)
didya change your mind?
glad to hear you still have your job!

Eve said...

Restructuring, eh? Ah, so-called efficiency.